Warning Signs You Need A New Roof
Most properly installed shingle roofs will last at least 20 years before showing any significant wear and tear, depending on the type of shingle and the application materials used. Factors such as climate and ventilation will also play a role in the life of your roof. If your roof shows signs of one or more of the symptoms shown below, Advanced Roofing can give your roof a thorough examination and let you know if you are in need of a new roof, or just a few repairs.
Any one of the following can be a sign that your roof needs repair or replacement:
- Dark spots in the wood can be either old or current problems. If the spot is still wet or soft it is a current problem that needs immediate attention. If the spot is dry and hard, it is most likely an old problem that has been fixed.
- If you begin to notice the decking sagging between the rafters or deteriorating at all chances are the decking will require replacement and you will need a new roof installed.
- Signs of leaking in the attic, including dark spots in the wood around vents and chimneys is a good indication that you need a professionals help.
- Signs of water damage or leaking in the form of water stains, or sagging in ceilings can be due to an active leak in the roof or condensation caused by poor roof ventilation.
- Missing Shingles can be caused by improper fastening or exposure to high winds. These can be easily managed repair jobs.
- Algae Growth caused by airborne algae occurs often in warm and humid climates. Replacement should be considered to avoid more serious damage.
- Damaged Flashing can be cause by improper installation or drying and cracking of an older roof. As structures settle, flashing can be cracked and damaged. It is important to have this repaired immediately to avoid misplaced water to your roof.